Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Story: Origin of 1001 Nights


“Once upon a time…” was the magical phrase that marks the beginning of the 1001 Nights of stories told by my sister Scheherazade. Through time, people only remember the interesting stories and fantastic adventures, but only few remember the back story of these Arabian Nights. My name is Dinarzade, and I am here to tell the story about Arabian Nights storyteller, Scheherazade.

Scheherazade. Link

I was the grand-vizir’s youngest daughter and beloved by all family members especially my three-years-older sister, Scheherazade. She has always be my ideal in life. Beautiful, talented, intelligent, and charming, my father said she was his proudest child. I was never jealous of my sister because I know because of my sister I was able to live my life the way I want while she carried the family’s honor. Yet, things start to change when my sister turned 14.

During at warm afternoon, while I was playing in my house’s garden, I saw my sister ran back from the outside into her room, and tears fell from her beautiful face. Worried for my sister, I followed right behind her.

“Sister, what’s happened? Why are you crying?”

“Dear Dina, I am in so much pain. Why does fate playing with me?” sobbed Scheherazade.

“Tell me, sister, what has caused you so much misery?”

“I found out the young man who told me the marvelous story years ago. Oh, I was longing to meet him again. Today, I met him again, but destiny toys with my love. He is the great Sultan, and he is going to get marry four days later. Why fate let me see him before he gets marry?” Scheherazade replied in agony.

Now, I knew why my sister acting so strange in recent years. I remember about four years ago my sister a smiling face. I have never seen such expression on her face, and now, I knew she was in love with the young prince, who now became the young Sultan. Since that day, she read many books on adventures and visited many storytellers to learn about interesting stories. So, all her action was for the Sultan because the Sultan loved listen to story. As the grand-vizir’s daughter, Scheherazade would be the best candidate for the Sultana, but she was still young to marry. In addition, I heard the Sultan chose his own bride because he loved her. Scheherazade could not be a consort, meaning she could not be with the Sultan.

Three years passed. Scheherazade stopped talking about the Sultan, but she still indulged in all the stories and adventures. I told her to let go and try to think of the candidates for her future husband. At 17-years-old, Scheherazade became more beautiful. Many fine suitors came ask her hand, but she refused. My father became so worried and asked me if I know why she was doing so, but I didn’t want to tell him about her secret love to the Sultan. Until one day, it changed my sister’s life and the lives of my family.

The atmosphere was so tensed because the Sultan just killed his beloved wife, who cheated on him with another man. Amidst of his anger, the Sultan ordered my father to find him a wife every day. So, he can kill her in the next morning. Discontented with the Sultan’s order, as a loyal subject, my father carried out the order.

Every morning, I can hear the crying of the family whose daughter was killed and those whose daughter was chosen as the next bride. Agony and fear filled the whole city. Every day, my father came back with weary and burden due to the innocent life that he had taken that day.

“Father, are you okay?”

“My dear Dina, I’m okay, but I don’t know how long I can do this. My mind is filled with the painful faces of all the young maidens who died under the Sultan’s command. I tried to persuade him, but his mind is full of mistrust, and his heart is hardened. If this continues, this will drives the Sultan into insanity and the kingdom into destruction. I feel so helpless. As a grand vizir, I can’t help my master, and I can’t protect my people.” Father finally broke into tears.

At this moment, Scheherazade entered the room and requested to be the next bride. Although my father objected strongly, Scheherazade persisted. After many arguments, my father gave in to my sister. Afterward, I followed Scheherazade to her room.

“Sister, why did you do that? Do you know what you ask will hurt father? How can he bear the pain of losing you at his old age? Did you do this just to be with the Sultan? He is not the kind and generous man you met before. Betrayal has driven him into insanity, and revenge has turn into a monster. Listen to me and change your decision.”

Scheherazade took me into her arm. “Sshh, Dina, calm down. I know what I am doing. I am not doing this just to be with him although this is one of the intentions. I did this because I don’t want any more innocent life killed. I don’t want to see our father worried. And… I want to help the Sultan to return to his old self. I have confidence to survive after every morning. You believe me right? Will you help me?”

Holding Scheherazade tightly, I replied, “I will.”

Starting then, I was requested to stay at the Sultan’s bedroom with my sister, and my only duty was to wake up my sister so she can tell the stories that saved her life. For 1001 nights, I dare not to sleep because I was afraid if I overslept my sister could be killed. After the 100th night, I noticed the Sultan did not wait for me to wake up my sister to tell the story. He did it himself. While Scheherazade was telling the story, I saw the Sultan’s look at her differently. After 756th night, the Sultan stopped mentioning the morning killing. My father said the Sultan was calmer and more sympathetic in his ruling. This was a good sign, but the danger did not end if he did not remove his killing command. In the 1001th night, Scheherazade finished her last story before the dawn and told the Sultan that she had no more stories to tell.

One Thousand and One Nights. Link

Sultan: “Aren’t you afraid that I will kill when the dawn comes?”

Scheherazade: “I spent 1001 nights telling the stories that I weaved from my love to you for the last seven years. If these stories have not touch your soul, and my love has not warm up your heart. I don’t think there is any story in the world that can change my fate.”

I ran to Scheherazade’s side and plead. “Please, Sultan, please spare my sister.”

The Sultan looked at us and headed to his sword while I cried helplessly. He returned with his word and wielded at us. I closed my eyes while holding Scheherazade’s hand. Then, I heard the sword fell on the ground and felt Scheherazade pulled away from me. I quickly opened my eyes and saw the Sultan was holding Scheherazade and the sword dropped at his feet.

Sultan: “Thank you Scheherazade for teaching me to trust and to love again. I would become a monster if it was not you who stopped me.”

Scheherazade hold him tightly and joyful tears fallen down from her cheeks.

Looking at this, I knew my sister had succeeded and received a greatest reward for her courage and wisdom.


Arabian Nights. Link


Bibliography. Andrew Lang.  The Arabian Nights' Entertainments. Link
Author’s Notes

I want to tell the back story behind the famous Arabian Nights. In Arabian Nights, the Sultan was cheated by his wife, and so, he distrusts all women and wants to take revenge on them. He married new bride each day and killed at the upcoming dawn. Finally, he married the grand-vizir’s daughter, Scheherazade, who volunteered to be his bride. She used her intelligence and talent in storytelling to postpone her death every morning by pause the story at its climax. After 1001 nights, the Sultan fell in love with her and learned to trust again. In my version, I want to focus on Scheherazade and tell the story in different perspective.

2 comments:

  1. I really loved your story. I liked that you wrote this in a new perspective. I've never heard of the story of 1001 Nights but now that I have read your version, I really want to read it. You picked a great story to retell. It was well written and the characters were easily to connect with. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the way that you started off your story! I think it was a great idea to view the story in the eyes of the sister! I never would have thought to change the person to the sisters point of view. It gives you a little bit more of an insight on what is happening and what the sister is thinking. You also receive more thoughts from the father who actually has to do the sultans bidding! I think you did a great job and I can’t wait to read more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete