Sunday, September 18, 2016

Famous Last Words - Survived the Career Fairt and First Interview

I went to the Engineering Career Fair last Thursday. Regardless of how many times I attended the event, it was always nerve-wracking. This year is the worst because I am graduating this May. Before I went to the Career Fair, I spent weeks on polishing my resume, looking up attending employers, and prioritizing the employers. Although the Career Fair lasted four hours, it was not enough to visit all the booths, and so, determining which booth I should visit is very crucial. Then, I have to present myself to the company’s representative, trying to impress them to get an interview. After four hours of waiting in line, smile, shaking hand, introducing myself, I can’t feel my feet because of the killing close-toe shoes.

You thought I would be relieved after the Career Fair ended at 4:30pm. Oh, I wish. The next part is the killer: waiting for call for interview. Luckily, I got one interview in the Friday. Of course, I got extremely nervous too, but I think I did okay (I am crossing my fingers.).

The Career Fair did not end there. I have to go online to Handshake app and apply to any jobs I am qualified, hoping I get more interviews and job offers. To me, the new program, Handshake, is inefficient, or maybe I just not knowing how to use it. I followed many employers in Handshake, but I can’t find a way to have Handshake shows a list of all employers I followed. Next, I will spend the next few weeks filling out online applications and writing cover letters to different companies. Hopefully, I don’t mess anything up during this process.

Now, I am waiting for more phone calls, emails, and any form of contacts informing me with interviews, rejections, job offers. To conclude, this week was stressful, but it was just the beginning. (>.<)

 Career Fair. Link

1 comment:

  1. I am an engineer also! I went to the career fair last Thursday as well. I agree on the career fair being nerve-wracking! I had a hard time getting up the courage to go talk to the companies! I am sure you did great! I am sure you did great during her interview! Congratulations on getting an interview and I hope to hear you got the job!

    ReplyDelete