Thursday, August 25, 2016

Storybook Favorites


Story: Girl Power on Mount Olympus

The topic of this story is very traditional, which is telling mythological stories of Greek goddesses. The twist on these stories is using the character’s perspective to tell the story instead of third person. I think this approach on the project is the easiest way to do this project. Personally, I think the title of the story is a bit misleading. When I see “Girl Power on Mount Olympus”, I thought the author will tell stories about how the Greek goddess overpower the Greek gods or at least emphasize these goddesses’ power not lessen to the male gods. I noticed this author has a different blog’s setup than the majority of the story. However, navigating through stories is very inconvenience since she did not include a label sidebar.

Hera. Web Source: Deviant Art. 2010

Story: The Four Beauties of China

I really like the time-traveling approach of this story, and the author also used the similar story-telling method like other stories, which is a series of individual story within overall story. However, I noticed these individual stories are leaning toward historical perception than the mythological perception. The only supernatural element in this story is the immortal cricket. This confused me. I am wondering if semester-long project should have more supernatural elements or it can be more historical. Besides this, the overall design and title of the story is relevant to the topic.


Story: Living in the Past: Tales of Ancient Vietnam

This story is my top favorite. Of course, I am a little bias on this decision, but the approach of this story is more challenging than the other two stories. The author incorporated many Vietnamese folklores in the brand new story. This implies that he has a very good understanding of these folklores in order to use these elements efficiently. I like how he smoothly transitioned from his introduction to the next chapter. His title also relevant to the story, but I think he could have done better with the design and images throughout his story.

No comments:

Post a Comment