Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Reading Notes: Ovid's I - Part B


Echo and Narcissus – Both stories are very sad. I want it to have a happier ending. If I create a situation where Narcissus loses his beautiful appearance, will Echo falls in love with him and will the prophecy still be fulfill? The first thing I notices that Echo and Narcissus attracted by Narcissus’s appearance. So, if I remove that element, will these two stories have the same endings? When Narcissus is dying, he loses his beauty, but Echo still has feeling for him. I wish I can make them come together.


Hellenic Mythology - Echo and Narcissus. DeviantArt

Perseus’s Stories – Regardless of how I like the Perseus movie, I have to say most of Zeus’s kids have very bad characters, and it is the same when it’s apply to Perseus. Just look it this way, when Medusa was violated by Poseidon in Athena’s temple, instead of helping out the poor girl, Athena chooses to punish her by turning her into a horrid monster. Since Medusa appeared in Athena’s temple, this could mean that she is a follower of Athena. Although Athena receives praises and gifts of her followers, she turns away when her follower needs her. Perseus is not any better than his sister, Athena. After intruded Atlas’s territory and received Atlas’s unwelcoming action, Perseus turned poor Atlas into stone and stole his golden fruits. If I was Atlas, I would be unwelcome to the intruder to my house especially when I was told that he could be the one who ends my life. Atlas was nice enough to shoo Perseus away instead of attacking him, but Perseus still killed him. Like his father Zeus, Perseus also drooled over pretty women, which was why he saved Andromeda. If she was normal and not beautiful, I doubt Perseus will save her since her mother made an outrageous praise that even anger the gods. In addition, why Perseus intruded into Medusa’s den and killed her in her sleep? She did not do anything to him. This is not the act of hero because only villain stabs people from their back. He shamelessly rides the Pegasus, who is the offspring of the one he just killed. At the end, I have to say I am speechless toward Zeus’s children.
 Medusa. DeviantArt

 Bibliography: Ovid's Metamorphoses I by Ovid. Link to Part B

No comments:

Post a Comment