Monday, October 10, 2016

Famous Last Words: Different Styles in Storytelling


I really like my portfolio’s readings for this week. The three portfolios that I commented have different way of telling story. Their styles were traditional story, diary-like story, and a story that was told in four different perspectives. Each author had a very unique way in captivate my attention. Let’s discuss the traditional style. The author told the story that I have read, but I didn’t recognize it. The story did keep the moral of the original version, but I think the author made the story more relatable and realistic to the reader. This is the style I often used for my assignment, but I think this author did put a lot of thoughts in creating the story. Next is the diary-like story. This style is very easy to make reader bore. However, I think this author made a good decision in choosing this style. Since the story was about an adventure of a sailor, the diary-style helped shorten the unnecessary time-transition details while emphasized on the important events and specific details. Lastly, it’s the story with four perspectives, a story that leave me at awe. I think it is very difficult to tell a short story in multiple perspectives. The disadvantage is that it is very easy to confuse the reader, but the advantage is that it’s allowed the reader to know what the character sees and feels. In my portfolio’s reading, an author used this style very well, especially when the story was not told in dialogue format. Because of this style, I was able to see the agony and the hatred of each character in the story. This is the style I really want to try in future when I have the confidence in the story I am going to write. Overall, I learned a lot from my fellow classmates on different style of storytelling.
Storytelling. Link

No comments:

Post a Comment