Sunday, November 13, 2016

Reading Notes: Russian Folktales - Part A


The story of The Dead Mother is very sad and very short. I felt like all my questions are not answered, and this hanging feeling annoyed me. Yet, I can create many things for this story. I can write about how the dead mother is very worried for leaving her young child before with no mother to take care of him, and she still loves her husband too much to pass to the netherworld. I can write how her soul lingers behind and try to take care of her loved ones. However, instead of having the old woman who first became suspicious of the child’s behavior, I want it to be the husband. I want to write how her husband stop hire old woman and help take care of the child himself. I also want to write how the husband and wife can communicate. I want to write a better ending instead of the dead mother left and her child died while the husband and kinsmen were left with terrors.


Mother Feeding her Child. Link

The story of The Treasure is very interesting. The old man in the story is such a loving husband, and he got the reward himself. I think to him the treasure only use was to give his wife a proper burial when no one was willing to help him. I can write about how God was touched by the man’s love to his dead wife and want to help him. In addition, God also want to test the old man’s mind whether he is a good man who deserves help or a man blinded by wealth. So, when the village’s pope used God’s name in vain for his selfish purpose, God tests both of them. The old man who lived true to his heart and valued God more than gold would have his treasure back while the greedy pope who disguised himself as the devil to get the money would receive nothing but a monstrous appearance like his heart.
Treasure Box. Link
 
Bibliography.  W. R. S. Ralston.  Russian Fairy Tales. Link

No comments:

Post a Comment